Konya Archaeology Museum was opened in Karma Secondary School in 1901. later it was moved to Mevlâna museum in 1927 was moved to Iplikçi mosque in 1953 finally the present building was constructed in 1962. Works of art belonging to the Neolithic, Early Bronze, Middle Bronze (Asur trade colonies) Iron (Phyrigian, Urartu), Early Hittite, Roman, Greek and Byzantine periods are displayed in the museum. Roman sarcophagus are worth seeing in the archaeology. Altar tombs from the Roman and Byzantine periods are displayed in its courtyard and inside. Embossing excavations which were made by the museum management the findings which is about church floor mosaics belongs to 6th century A.C. in Sille Tatköy and Çumra Alibeyhöyük were removed from there and displayed in the museum.
The building which was built as a region museum for education purposes was opened as ethnographic museum in 1975. there are, at the ground of the three floored building, photographs, archieves, belongings, study research stores. At the ground floor there is a wide display room. This museum exhibits significant local handicrafts, ethnographic pieces which were collected from Konya and its around.
KOYUNOĞLU MUSEUM AND LIBRARY
A.R. İzzet KOYUNOĞLU who is one of the old and well-known families in Konya has established a museum and a library for significant books and historical works which he had collected for years in his house in Topraklık subdistrict. Later he had donated library and museum which he had established to Metropolitan Municipality of Konya. The museum was constructed and formed as the present complex by Metropolitan Municipality of Konya to respond every requirements of modern museum manners. Archeological and ethnographic works are displayed in the museum. The house which belongs to Izzet Koyunuğlu in the courtyard of the museum was restorated and opened to public as a model of the classic houses of Konya. The old and the new civil architecture style are combined in the building. The museum are rather rich in manuscripts and printed works.
The house which is located in Atatürk street was built in 1912. The building which is a sample of 20th century national architectures was presented to Atatürk in 1928 by the people of Konya. It was opened to public as a museum in 1954. Atatürk’s belongings, oficial documents which tell the situation of the people of Konya in the national liberation war and chronological photographs are displayed in the museum.
The library which is located at the west of the Selimiye Mosque was built by Kethuda Yusuf Ağa in 1795. The library has been serving with its unique manuscripts to those researchers who come from all over the world.