A BRİEF HISTORY OF KONYA
The early permanent settlements in Konya and its province go back to prehistoric times. So many findings of the cultures of the Paleolithic, Neolithic, Kalkolithic, Early Copper and Bronze Age were discovered within the period of time in the province of Konya.
Konya has been an old permanent settlemet province, a cradle for many civilizations since people started to run a settled life in 7000 B.C. As we remember the usage of writing began 3500 B.C, Konya is considered one of the oldest settlements of the world history.
Catalhoyuk, located within the province of Konya, is known as a centre of the first cultivation made in the world history, common defence made against wild animals, first fire were discovered, the first permanent settlement were made, the first food culture began. Konya has always been in the centre of civilization. Hittite and Lycian 6th century B.C.; Persian 4th century B.C; Alaxander the Great, Selevkos, Bergama Kingdom 2nd century B.C. and the Romans in 395 A.C. had ruled the city of Konya and its province. Sasanies at the beginning of the 7th century, Amawiys at the middle of the same century with the commander of Muawiyah temporarily occupied Konya. Konya was a predominant Byzantine province till 10th century; the penetration of Islam into Anatolia brought the Arabian attacks. First Turk raiders those who came to Konya before Malazgirt Victory (1069) were Seljuk Turks.
The Great Seljuk Sultan Alparslan opened the gate of Anatolia for Turks in 1071. The Sultan Alparslan after the victory ordered his commanders to invade Anatolia wholly. Konya was conquered by Kutlmısoglu Suleyman Shah. After that he faced towards the west conquered Iznik and preferred it to be a center of the Anatolia Seljuk Empire which was established in 1074. Following the conquest of Iznik the period of Turk-Islam began. Thus Anatolia Seljuk State was established in 1074 and its capital city was Iznik. During the first crusade in 1097 Iznik was lost the capital city was moved to Konya. Thus a new page began in its history, Konya was developed day by day decorated by variety of architectures and it became one of the most frourishing cities in Anatolia in a short time.
Despite German Empire F. Barbarossa sieged Konya (18th of May 1190) during the thirt crusade he could not invade the castle which was defended by sedond Kılıcarslan. Eventually he had to leave. Konya remained as a capital city until the end of the Seljuk Empire (1308). Later it was ruled by Karamanogulları as the biggest city of Karamanogulları State.
Konya was included into the border of the Ottoman Empire (1467) and now it is growing larger and developing rapidly on its way as one of the biggest and important city of the Republic of Turkey conveying its enormous heritages to the future generation.
It is located in the boarder of Çumra district in the place of Küçükköy. One of the most important archaeological field, Çatalhöyük’s past goes back to 7000-8000 B.C. years. Archaeological excavations which were begun by James Mellaart in 1961 and it was stopped in 1963, later it was re-began its studies by Prof. Ion Hodder. So many valuable excavation findings included goddess Kibele statue are displayed in the Konya Archeolgy Museum. Besides this archaeological excavation works are still continuing.
It is an archaic city located southwest of Konya in the village of Gökyurt; as if Kilistra is a small Kapadokya. It is on the famous King’s Road. St. Paulos, whose name is mentioned in the Bible, is believed to have stopped by on his journey. At the west of Kilistra which was located on an archaic city, there are chapels bored in the rocks, water reservoir and vinestored in the Söğütlüdere. Morever, at the west of the village there are valleys lay down to the mountains full of beauties as beautiful as Peribacaları.
EFLATUN PINARI (PURPLE SPRİNG)
It is located 22 kms from the town of Beyşehir, established during the period of Hittite 12th century B.C. one of the most important monuments after Hattushas. There is a holy pool 40 metres in high and 30 metres in wide in front of the monument. This monument symbolizes the gods who carry the sky and connect the sky with the earth and there is some figures that are depicting gods of the storm, the sun, the mountain and the spring of the multi-gods Hittite.
THE FASILLAR MONUMENT
The Fasillar monument, located 18 kms East of the city Beyşehir, is one of the largest rock monuments in the world. At he same time the fasillar monument is located in a village where the city of Misthia ramshackles of the period of Byzantine are located too depicts the Great God between two lions in a mountainous temple.
IVRIZ ROCK MONUMENT
Ivriz is located in the border of the district Ereğli of Konya. This monument belongs to Tuvana Kingdom established about 2000 B.C. and the Relief God that was sculptured on a rock in the water spring has a fascinating beauty. Ivriz, which fascinats people by its naturel beauty and serves with its spring waters as a resort is well worth seeing.
The famous Seljuk Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat constructed Kubadabat Palace where is located on the west coast of the Beyşehir Lake and on the north side of the district Gölyaka. Architect of the palace was Sadettin Köpek who was a hunting commander in that time. The best of the Seljuk tiles art which was decorated on the wall of the palace contains doble headed eagle owl depicting prosperity of Seljuks, female and male eagle, stork, peacock, eagle figures etc. were portrayed. Archeological axcavations still are made and the tile arts findigns are displayed in Karatay Museum Konya.